Let’s celebrate our furry friends on National Dog Day! Did you know?
- there are more than 48.2 million dogs living in the United States
- the most popular dog breed is the Labrador retriever
- scientists believe dogs first evolved from wolves
- the average lifespan for a medium-sized dog is between 10 and 13 years
- the world’s oldest living dog is a 22-year-old Toy Fox Terrier named Pebbles
- the world’s smallest dog is 3.8″ tall
Enjoy this fun word search called “National Dog Day.” Word searches develop spelling skills, extend vocabulary, and emphasize pattern recognition. Find all the hidden words! Enjoy replaying one of your favorite word searches. Each time you replay it, the words are reordered to make it more challenging.
Word Search Instructions:
1. To view vocabulary words in the boxes below the puzzle, click on each box.
2. To play, click on the first letter of the word and then click on the last letter of the vocabulary word to highlight the entire word in the puzzle.
3. Words may be found going forward, backward, up, down, or diagonally.
4. After each vocabulary word is found, each word in the box will have a slash through it if clicked on.
5. Once you have completed the word search, a message will say “CONGRATULATIONS! YOU WIN!”
6. Have fun!
Mobile version may vary. (Word Box: dog, walk, treat, bed, play)
Homeschoolers/Educators/Parents: Sketch/color an illustration. Theme: animal adventures. Finish this sentence: My favorite dog is… Be kind to your animal friend. List five dog facts. Read the story called Jemima Puddle Duck in Learning to Read: Fairy Tale Adventures. Write about her adventures. (Skills: identify, comprehend, apply, creativity, affective domain)