Ash Wednesday is a holy day of prayer and fasting in many Western Christian denominations (especially Catholics). It marks the first day of Lent (the six weeks of penitence before Easter). Enjoy this crossword called “Ash Wednesday” inspired by the story “Prayer“ in Learning to Read: New Testament Stories. Crosswords help develop spelling skills, improve vocabulary, learn interesting new facts, and enhance your critical thinking skills. Crossword puzzles are complex word puzzles that are enjoyable, relaxing, and fun.
- Tap or click the square to fill in the letter.
- The answers that go into the white boxes are written across and down, with separate clues for each direction.
- The answers will interlock with one another, so correctly answering one question will give you one or more letters that make up part of a different answer.
- If you need a hint, go to “reveal letter.”
- If you need more help, go to “reveal.”
- To go back to the beginning, go to “revert.”
- If you hit the “check” box, it will put a cross over any boxes you entered incorrectly.
- Check the Word Bank for any difficult words.
- When you are done, the message will say, “Congratulations, you have completed the puzzle!”
Homeschoolers/Educators/Parents: sketch/color an illustration and label it. Theme: penitent. Listen to the audiobook story “Prayer” in Learning to Read: New Testament Stories. Write and say the words ”Ash Wednesday” five times so you can pronounce and spell it correctly. Put these words in alphabetical order: Lent, prayer, fasting, amen, thankful, penitent, Ash Wednesday. Use each word in a sentence. Share a special prayer. Create/solve a wordsearch/poem about Ash Wednesday. List two ways to celebrate Lent. (Skills: identify, comprehend, apply, organize, creative, affective, analyze, synthesize.)