Look up in the sky. NOAA Space Weather Prediction Center (SWPC) issues a daily forecast, for the next three days, of geomagnetic activity. Its current forecast for September 28-30, 2020 includes a period of strong activity measuring Kp5 and Kp6, which could mean visibility in the northern United States. Those times are in Universal Time, so you need to translate them back into your local time. Do that and you’ll see that around midnight on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday are the key times to be outside looking to the north. Don’t forget to read the story of “Chicken Little” where she screams, “The sky is falling! The sky is falling!”
Enjoy this fun “Northern Lights” Word Search. Word searches develop spelling skills, extend vocabulary, and emphasize pattern recognition. Find all of the hidden words! Enjoy replaying one of your favorite word searches. Each time you replay it, the words are reordered to make it more challenging.
Word Search Instructions:
1. To view vocabulary words in the boxes below the puzzle, click on each box.
2. To play, click on the first letter of the word and then click on the last letter of the vocabulary word to highlight the entire word in the puzzle.
3. Words may be found going forward, backward, up, down, or diagonally.
4. After each vocabulary word is found, each word in the box will have a slash through it if clicked on.
5. Once you have completed the word search, a message will say “CONGRATULATIONS! YOU WIN!”
6. Have fun!
Mobile version may vary. (Word Box: northern, lights, NOAA, geomagnetic, storms)
Homeschoolers: draw/color an illustration and record your observations of this historical event.