Nichelle Nichols made television history in the 1960’s with her portrayal of the Star Trek character Lieutenant Nyota Uhura. She was fourth in command of the starship Enterprise. As an African American woman, she made history in 1968 with one of the first interracial kisses in a scene with William Shatner, who played the show’s lead character, Captain James T. Kirk. Nichols’ portrayal of Uhura was groundbreaking for African American actresses on American television. “Live long and prosper.”
Enjoy this word search called “Lieutenant Uhura”. Word searches develop spelling skills, extend vocabulary, and emphasize pattern recognition. Find all the hidden words! Enjoy replaying one of your favorite word searches. Each time you replay it, the words are reordered to make it more challenging.
Word Search Instructions:
1. To view vocabulary words in the boxes below the puzzle, click on each box.
2. To play, click on the first letter of the word and then click on the last letter of the vocabulary word to highlight the entire word in the puzzle.
3. Words may be found going forward, backward, up, down, or diagonally.
4. After each vocabulary word is found, each word in the box will have a slash through it if clicked on.
5. Once you have completed the word search, a message will say “CONGRATULATIONS! YOU WIN!”
6. Have fun!
Mobile version may vary. (Word Box: Uhura, Star Trek, lieutenant, Nichols, actress)
Homeschoolers/Educators/Parents: sketch/color an illustration. Theme: adventure. Read the story called The Town Musicians of Bremen in Learning to Read: Fairy Tale Adventures. Describe the animal’s adventures. List one of Uhura’s adventures. What is your favorite adventure? (Skills: identification, comprehension, creativity)