Happy Hobbit Day! What exactly is a hobbit, you may ask? A hobbit is a member of an imaginary race similar to humans, of a small size, and with hairy feet in stories by J.R.R. Tolkien. Here is a free audiobook of The Hobbit (The Lord of the Rings). Did you know?
- September 22 is designated as Hobbit Day because it is the birthdate of two of JRR Tolkien’s main characters
- Bilbo Baggins and Frodo Baggins are hobbits
- Bilbo Baggins is the leading character of Tolkien’s hugely popular 1937 children’s novel, The Hobbit
- Bilbo Baggins was born on September 22, Third Age 2890
- Frodo Baggins is 78 years younger than Bilbo, having been born in the Third Age year of 2968
- Bilbo volunteers to take care of the ring
- To celebrate: Don’t wear shoes on this day because the hobbits in the books are always barefooted
Homeschoolers/Educators/Parents: Sketch/color an illustration. Theme: rings. List five facts about hobbits. Read/listen to the audiobook story called “Seven Ravens” in Learning to Read: Fairy Tale Adventures (Kindle/Audiobook/Paperback). Put these words in alphabetical order: gold, ring, ravens, dwarf, hobbits. Finish this sentence: I noticed in the “Seven Ravens” that… Describe what happened to the gold ring in the story “Seven Ravens”. (Skills: identify, comprehend, describe, analyze, creativity).