Standard Chinese, often called Mandarin, is the most often spoken language in China. Over 70 percent of people in China speak Mandarin.
Other fun facts about Mandarin:
- It is the official Chinese language in China
- It is the official Chinese language in Taiwan
- Most Mandarin varieties have four tones
- The Mandarin language has almost a billion speakers
- There is an estimated 100,000 Chinese characters
- How you say a word can change its meaning
So, Homeschoolers: sketch an illustration and describe Mandarin. What type of language did the Bamboo Cutter speak?