The Ever Given ship has run aground and is holding up more than 160 vessels waiting to pass through the Suez Canal. This giant container ship is stuck in the canal.
Here are more interesting facts with this ongoing story:
- Ever Given is one of the world’s biggest container vessels
- The giant container ship is stuck in the canal which separates Africa from the Middle East and Asia
- The canal is the shortest sea link between Asia and Europe
- The Suez Canal is one of the busiest trade routes in the world
- About 30% of all the world’s shipping container freight passes through the Suez Canal
- About 12% of total global trade moves through it
- Oil, clothing, furniture, and manufacturing car parts pass through the canal
- The added cost of shipping by air and train instead might be passed on to consumers
- Two shipping companies called Maersk and Hapag-Lloyd are looking at other options
- It might take weeks to get Ever Given free
Homeschoolers: Draw/color an illustration. Describe the Suez Canal incident.