Happy World Ocean Day! Let’s keep our oceans clean! The 1,000 Mermaids Project is trying to save the coral reefs in Florida. Coral reefs are the lungs of the ocean. Giant mermaid sculptures made from organic materials are placed in the bottom of the ocean bed helping to revitalize coral communities. The coral reefs are critical for our ecosystem. They are important for protecting our coastal communities. We love the ocean and hope you do too! More World Ocean Day fascinating facts –
- Mermaids have long been a symbol of humans’ connection to the ocean
- The mermaids are made-up of a sustainable concrete which allows infant coral to adhere to it and restore Florida’s living coral reef population
- Coral bleaching is a process that unfortunately ultimately leads to the reefs dying
- The Indian Ocean is the warmest ocean in the world
- The saltiest sea in the world is the Red Sea
Homeschoolers: Sketch/color an illustration. Write about your favorite ocean animals. Theme: oceans. Analogy: Read the story called The Fisherman and His Wife. Describe the sea adventure.