Hanukkah is also known as the Festival of Lights. This Jewish festival commemorates the recovery of Jerusalem and rededication of the Second Temple. The rededication began during the Maccabean revolt against the Seleucid Empire in the 2nd century BCE. This year Hanukkah is celebrated: Sun, Nov 28, 2021 – Mon, Dec 6, 2021. For Jewish Americans, this time of year is celebrated with the blue and white (and sometimes silver) of Hanukkah and playing the dreidel game.
Enjoy this word search called “Happy Hanukkah”. Word searches develop spelling skills, extend vocabulary, and emphasize pattern recognition. Find all the hidden words! Enjoy replaying one of your favorite word searches. Each time you replay it, the words are reordered to make it more challenging.
Word Search Instructions:
1. To view vocabulary words in the boxes below the puzzle, click on each box.
2. To play, click on the first letter of the word and then click on the last letter of the vocabulary word to highlight the entire word in the puzzle.
3. Words may be found going forward, backward, up, down, or diagonally.
4. After each vocabulary word is found, each word in the box will have a slash through it if clicked on.
5. Once you have completed the word search, a message will say “CONGRATULATIONS! YOU WIN!”
6. Have fun!
Mobile version may vary. (Word Box: Hanukkah, lights, Jew, candle, dreidel)
Homeschoolers: sketch/color an illustration. Theme: tasty food. Finish this sentence: My favorite holiday is…Read the story called “The Tailor of Gloucester” in Learning to Read: Favorite Fairy Tales. Tell us what you want to do during the holidays.