Hello Christian Friends & Homeschoolers,
Flying a kite is history. Why? On this day in 1752, Benjamin Franklin flies a kite during a thunderstorm and collects a charge in a jar when the kite is struck by lightning, enabling him to demonstrate the electrical nature of lightning.
Now that the school year is almost done, there is still an easy way for you to share short history lessons with your child as part of your summer homeschooling program. The site is called This Day in History. It gives you a short presentation (about 4 paragraphs long) on what happened in U.S. History that is important in America today. It also usually provides a short video presentation as well. These historical events also occurred on June 10th:
- Franklin flies kite during thunderstorm
- John Adams proposes a continental army
- Paul Newman finishes second in Le Mans
- Confederates score victory at the Battle of Brice’s Crossroads
- Eisenhower rejects call for U.S. Isolationism
- Doughnut truck thief arrested
- Evacuations save lives in the Philippines
- Also on this day: General Interest, Hollywood, Literary, Music, Old West, Presidential, Sports, Vietnam War, World War I, World War II
Have fun keeping your child intellectually stimulated during the summer!